Billionaires who made the top 10 include:
1. Bezos (worth: $179 billion)
5. Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison (worth: $72 billion)
6. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer (worth: $69 billion)
9. Google co-founder Sergey Brin (worth: $65.7 billion)
10. Walmart heiress Alice Walton (worth: $62.3 billion)
Bezos, 57, became the first American in history to reach a $200 billion net worth on Aug. 26 when Amazon's stock closed at $3.441.85 per share, though the price has retreated since then.
Amazon shares are up more than 78% year-to-date as the tech giant's market capitalization tops $1.5 trillion; the company accounts for more than a third of the U.S. e-commerce market. Apple became the first-ever U.S. company to reach $2 trillion in August.
Bezos owns 54.5 million shares — or a 10.9% stake — of Amazon. He also owns a $7.2 billion stake in aerospace manufacturer Blue Origin, as well as $7.1 billion in other assets.
Americans became more reliant on Amazon, and e-commerce in general, to deliver household necessities purchased online as the coronavirus pandemic kept people home and out of physical stores.