Pizza topping brand Ezzo Sausage Company is recalling more than 25,000 pounds of meat over fears it may be contaminated with a potentially life-threatening foodborne illness, according to a notice from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.
The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service was alerted by the company after samples of affected products tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.
The recalled ready-to-eat meats, which include sliced pepperoni, chopped pepperoni and sausage, were produced on Oct. 29 and 30, and Nov. 5. The products were then shipped to distribution centers in Indiana and Ohio, according to the notice.
Customers can identify products by the establishment number "EST. 1838A," which is printed inside the USDA mark of inspection.
To date, there have been no reports of anyone getting sick from eating the affected products.
The Food Safety and Inspection Service, however, is concerned that some of the affected products may be in distribution centers, restaurants or institutional refrigerators or freezers.
The agency is urging restaurants and institutions that have purchased these products to throw them away or return them.
The USDA posted labels of the affected chicken products on its website along with a full list of the products.
The recalled products are as follows:
- Ange's Pizza Sausage for Pizza 38mm Sliced. Lot code: 102919.
- Creno's Pizza Sliced Sausage For Pizza. Lot code: 102919.
- GiAntonio Brand Sausage for Pizza 38mm Sliced. Lot code: 102919.
- GiAntonio Brand Pepperoni 38mm Sliced. Lot code: 102919.
- Josseppi's Sliced Topper Pepperoni. Lot code: 102919.
- Massey's Portofino Pepperoni. Lot code: 102919.
- Flyer's Pizza & Subs 38mm Sliced Pepperoni. Lot code: 102919.
- Ezzo Brand Burretto Pepperoni Sliced 51mm. Lot code: 102919.
- Ezzo Brand Rough Chopped Pepperoni. Lot code 102919
- Ezzo Brand Natural Uncured Pepperoni Sliced 51mm. Lot code: 102919)
- Chopped Pepperoni. Lot code: 103019.
- Pizza King Chopped Pepperoni. Lot code: 103019 or 110519.
- Ezzo Brand Chopped Pepperoni. Lot code: 103019 or 110519.
- Ezzo Brand Chopped Pepperoni. Lot code: 103019.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Listeria is the third leading cause of death from foodborne illness, or food poisoning, in the United States. The bacteria is most likely to sicken pregnant women and their newborns, adults aged 65 or older, and people with weakened immune systems, according to government data.
Anyone who is concerned about an injury or illness related to the affected products should contact a healthcare provider.