Continue Reading Below
Alternative mashed potatoes
Syn offered an alternative to traditional mashed potatoes with her Cauliflower Potato Mash:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
“What I like to do is use half potatoes, half cauliflower,” she said. “Cauliflower will lower the calories and carbohydrates and increase the fiber, vitamins and minerals.”
She said a surprising ingredient – white beans – can make a dessert healthier.
- 1 can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
“Beans [allow] you to cut back on the fat used in your dessert while still retaining that moisture,” she said.
Syn said she’s tricked a lot of her guests with her bean-based blondies.
“They can't even tell that I've added beans to the recipe," she said.
Syn shared a healthier version of a holiday cocktail.
- 2 tbsp pomegranate arils
- 8 oz. 100-percent pomegranate juice (no added sugar)
- 1 bottle chilled sparkling wine
- 6 sprigs rosemary
She said the key to this drink is the sparkling wine, “which is a lower calorie option.”