Indianapolis FedEx facility shooting: What we know

More than 4,500 team members work at FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis

Police say at least eight people were shot and killed and several others injured Thursday after a gunman opened fire at a FedEx facility near the Indianapolis airport.

FedEx said the eight people who died worked for the company. 


Five people were hospitalized after the Thursday night shooting, according to police. One of them had critical injuries, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson Genae Cook said. Another two people were treated at the scene and released. Cook also said the alleged shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

"While it will take some time to fully understand what happened, we know we lost eight team members in this senseless act of violence," FedEx CEO Frederick Smith said in a statement.

Here's what we know:

FedEx said the shooting occurred at the FedEx Ground-Plainfield Operations Center at 8951 Mirabel Road, about 5 miles from the Indianapolis International Airport.

According to Realtytrac, the FedEx Ground facility spans more than 328,000 square feet and is located by some local schools, including Decatur Central High School, Decatur Middle School and Blue Academy. 

Ticker Security Last Change Change %
FDX FEDEX CORP. 252.54 +4.40 +1.77%

Per company policy, most employees aren’t allowed to carry cellphones inside the FedEx building. 

"To minimize potential distractions around package sortation equipment and dock operations, cell phone access within certain areas of FedEx Ground field operations is limited to authorized team members," FedEx told FOX Business in a statement. 

A FedEx representative told Business Insider the company is now in the process of reevaluating the no-phone policy.

However, FedEx said that its "immediate priorities are the safety and well-being" of its team members and coopering with law enforcement. 


Craig McCartt, deputy chief of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, told the "Today" show the security measures in place at the facility, from his understanding, prevented the shooter from getting too far into the facility. 

"The physical security measures they had in place did what they were supposed to do and he did not get very far inside that facility," he said. 

Police say it is too early to tell if the gunman was an employee at the facility.  

Here's What Next: 

FedEx said the safety of its employees is the company's top priority as it continued to cooperate with authorities. 

"Our priority right now is in responding to the situation on the ground and helping our team members and law enforcement," Smith said. 

According to Smith, FedEx has a "team onsite in Indianapolis to provide support" and "are making counselors available." 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.