According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the top 10 earners among private college presidents in 2012 were:
1) Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, New York, $7.1 million(asterisk)
Continue Reading Below
2) John L. Lahey, Quinnipiac University, Connecticut, $3.8 million
3) Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University, New York, $3.4 million
4) Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania, $2.5 million
5) Charles R. Middleton, Roosevelt University, Illinois, $1.8 million
6) Susan Hockfield(asterisk)(asterisk), Massachusetts Institute of Technology $1.7 million
7) David W. Leebron, Rice University, Texas, $1.5 million
8) John E. Sexton, New York University, $1.4 million
9) Marc Tessier-Lavigne, The Rockefeller University, New York, $1.4 million
10) Richard C. Levin(asterisk)(asterisk), Yale University, Connecticut, $1.4 million
(asterisk)A large portion of Jackson's compensation in 2012 came from the pay out of nearly $5.9 million that had been set aside over 10 years as a retention incentive.
(asterisk)(asterisk)As of June 2012, no longer president at that institution.