Slovakia's prime minister says his government plans to buy a controlling stake in the country's major power producer, Slovenske elektrarne.
Italian energy company Enel owns a 66 percent stake in Slovenske elektrarne and is trying to sell its share. Slovkia's government owns the remaining 34 percent.
Continue Reading Below
After meeting Enel Chief Executive Francesco Starace on Wednesday, Robert Fico said Enel must remain responsible as a part of a possible deal for the completion of two nuclear units it is building at the Mochovce nuclear power plant.
Starace didn't comment.
Fico's government and Enel are in a half-billion euro dispute over a 2006 deal under which Enel was operating a major state-owned hydro power plant, the 720-megawatt Gabcikovo plant located on the Danube river.
Fico said the dispute was not discussed Wednesday.