Obama administration says HealthCare.gov working well as 100,000 submit new applications

Associated Press

The Obama administration says the health care website is working well as a crucial second sign-up season for President Barack Obama's health overhaul gears up.

Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell says 100,000 people have submitted new applications this weekend via Healthcare.gov. That's a big difference from last year, when only a handful of customers could get past frozen computer on the first enrollment day.

Continue Reading Below

Burwell also tells NBC's "Meet the Press" that a half-million people who already have coverage through the program were able to log into their accounts. There were reports Saturday that some returning customers had problems.

Obama says there's been a big improvement overall and that HealthCare.gov "works really well now."

With Congress fully under Republican control, the administration can't afford another website meltdown.