Los Angeles building officials approved plans to build a 1 million-square-foot complex of skyscrapers, stores and restaurants in the heart of Hollywood, agreeing with the developer that an earthquake fault underneath the property is too old to be considered active.
The Department of Building and Safety signed off Monday on geology reports that found that no active earthquake fault runs under the site of the Millennium Hollywood development — even though the state geologist last year concluded there was one.
Continue Reading Below
The move ends a two-year debate over whether two massive skyscrapers planned by developer Millennium Partners could be built safely due to seismic conditions, the Los Angeles Times reported (http://lat.ms/1LP5l5K ).
Studies by Millennium's geotechnical consultant, Group Delta, said that there is probably a fault deep below the property that roughly follows the path indicated on the state's zoning map. However, contrary to the state's conclusions, the studies said that the inferred fault was estimated to be at least 150,000 years old.
Millennium Partners wants to build a pair of skyscrapers, of 35 and 39 stories, which would dwarf existing buildings.
The developer said it would move forward with the project, which would be the largest and tallest single development in Hollywood history and would replace parking and rental car lots next to the Capitol Records tower.
"Millennium Hollywood remains firmly committed to building a project that will preserve the iconic Capitol Records building and revitalize Hollywood's historic Downtown, doing so in a manner that conforms to the highest earthquake resiliency standards," Philip Aarons of New York-based Millennium Partners said in a statement Monday.
The City Council approved the development in 2013.
Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com/