A law enforcement source said the Department of Justice's request to delay the San Bernardino iPhone hearing has been granted, and there will be no proceedings Tuesday afternoon as previously scheduled.
Continue Reading Below
The story below is an earlier-reported version from Reuters.
U.S. prosecutors on Monday asked a federal judge to cancel a Tuesday hearing in their legal battle to force Apple Inc to break into an encrypted iPhone, stating that they may have found another way to access the device, according to a court filing.
The judge in the case, being handled in federal court in Riverside, California, scheduled a hearing for late afternoon on Monday to consider the request.
The unexpected development in the high-profile case raised questions as to whether the Justice Department might be backing off from its confrontation with Apple.
In a court filing, the Justice Department said the new technique came to light on Sunday, but it provided no further details.
The government has obtained a court order requiring Apple to write new software to disable passcode protections on a phone used by one of the shooters in the December attack in San Bernardino, California.
Apple, with the backing of much of the tech industry, is fighting the order, contending that it will undermine computer security and privacy for all consumers.
(Reporting by Mari Saito and Joseph Menn; Editing by Bill Rigby and Jonathan Weber)