The following two entrepreneurs were featured in the article: Launching Local Site Can Be Simple, Fun -- and Pay.
Continue Reading Below
Tips from Debbie Galant, co-founder of Baristanet
• Read eNest, a book about running a business and doing something good.
• Do market research: Know your geographic area. Know your competition.
• Post often: five times a day during the week.
• Make sure you have the energy for this commitment. It can feel like slavery without help.
• Barter services in the beginning and provide free ad space for the first few months.
Tips from Chrysanthe Tenentes, co-founder of Brooklyn Based
• Find a voice and a space that’s new to your market.
• Make it meaningful. Avoid content overload.
• Consider an opt-in distribution channel.
• Diversify to improve your revenue stream—for example, in addition to selling ad space, sell products and sponsor events.