U.S. manufacturing output rose in September, led by gains for aerospace products, furniture, clothing and plastics.
The Federal Reserve says output at manufacturing plants rose 0.5 percent in September after falling 0.5 percent in August. Total industrial production surged 1 percent last month, as output from mines and utilities both increased.
Continue Reading Below
Furniture output rose 2.4 percent in September, while aerospace products climbed 1.7 percent. Clothing increased 1.5 percent, as plastics, rubber, chemicals and computer production also improved.
Despite the gains, autos appear to have downshifted after driving much of the output growth of the past year. Factory production of motor vehicles and parts slid 1.4 percent in September, the second straight monthly decline after tumbling 7 percent in August.