Continue Reading Below
In response to upbeat first-quarter results and a bullish guidance, shares of FormFactor(NASDAQ: FORM), a supplier to the semiconductorindustry, rose by 21% as of 11:20 a.m. EDT on Thursday.
Here's a review of the headline numbers that caused shares to jump:
- Revenue rose 140% to $128.8 million. The massive growth was mostly owed to last year's Cascade Microtech acquisition. This figure came in above the high end ofmanagement's guidance rangeand also topped Wall Street's expectations.
- Non-GAAP net income$17.3 million, or $0.24 per share. This figure was also comfortably ahead of the company's guidance range and easily surpassed the $0.20 in earnings per share that market watchers had projected.
- FormFactor generated $13 million in cash during the quarter, which is a nice turnaround compared to the same quarter last year, when it actually consumed $0.4 million in cash.
FormFactor CEO Mike Slessor credited the company's strong performance to "robust demand from all our customers."
Image source: Getty Images.
He also stated that growing demand for data centers, mobile devices, and high-tech automobiles is driving increased business for semiconductor equipment. As a result, the company provided investors with the following bullish guidance for the upcoming quarter:
- Revenue between $130 million and $138 million
- Non-GAAP EPS between $0.24 and $0.30
By contrast, analysts were only expecting $127 million in revenue and $0.23 in EPS.
The positive quarterly results andupbeatguidance causedFormFactor's stock tosoar.
With the Cascade Microtech acquisition complete, FormFactor now believes that its market share in the advanced probe card market is over 30%. That company believes that is more than double the market share held by competitors such as Advantest. Management believes that the company's increased scale and diversification are helping to smooth out its cyclicality and drive revenue and margin expansion.
Looking ahead, FormFactor looks well positioned to drive continued revenue, margin, and profit growth from here. With the company firing on all cylinders, it is easy to understand why traders are feeling bullish about its future.
10 stocks we like better than FormFactorWhen investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the 10 best stocks for investors to buy right now... and FormFactor wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
Click here to learn about these picks!
*Stock Advisor returns as of May 1, 2017