U.S. Says 'No Indications' Iran Seized U.S. Ship

Reuters

There are no indications so far that any U.S. ship is being directed by Iranian forces into an Iranian port, a U.S. official told Reuters on Tuesday.

The official, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity to discuss the situation, said the United States was still working to get clarity on the situation after Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television said an Iranian "force" seized a U.S. cargo ship in the Gulf on Tuesday and directed it to the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.

Continue Reading Below

The channel said the force had "opened fire" on the U.S. ship, which had 34 U.S. sailors aboard. (Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Bill Trott)

Below is an earlier report from Reuters

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television said an Iranian "force" seized a U.S. cargo ship in the Gulf on Tuesday and directed it to the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.

The channel said the force had "opened fire" on the U.S. ship, which had 34 U.S. sailors aboard. It gave no further details. The U.S. Fifth Fleet in the Gulf Arab kingdom of Bahrain had no immediate comment on the report.

(Reporting by Noah Browning and Yara Bayoumy, Editing by William Maclean and Janet Lawrence)