The Latest: Lawmakers say they'll request state crash probe

The Latest on the deadly New Jersey Transit train crash in Hoboken (all times local):

6:15 p.m.

New Jersey lawmakers say they'll ask the state's auditor to investigate last week's crash of a commuter train at the Hoboken (HOH'-boh-kehn) terminal.

Democratic Assemblyman John McKeon said on Friday that Democratic Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto (pree-AY'-toh) will ask the state auditor to investigate the crash, likely by Monday.

McKeon says he requested the auditor investigate the accident, which is required by state law to initiate the auditor's probe. The speaker's request is required to expedite the process.

One person was killed and more than 100 were injured when the New Jersey Transit train slammed through a bumper at the end of a track. A federal agency investigating the crash says the train was going about twice the speed limit of 10 mph just before the crash.


2:15 p.m.

Rail service at a New Jersey transit station damaged after a deadly train crash will resume next week.

New Jersey Transit says a portion of the Hoboken Terminal will reopen Monday morning.

Investigators say the train was traveling twice the speed limit when it crashed into the station Sept. 29, killing a woman on the platform and injuring more than 100 people.

Service on the commuter line into the busy station that connects travelers to trains headed for New York City has been out since.

The damaged train wasn't removed until Thursday. It was towed away to undergo further examination.

NJ Transit said Friday that Tracks 1 to 9 will remain out of service, while Tracks 10 to 17 will open.

The transit agency says specific time information will be released Friday night.


1 a.m.

A New Jersey Transit train that crashed into Hoboken's terminal last week, killing a woman on the platform and injuring more than 100 people, has been removed from the station.

The damaged train was towed away Thursday night and will undergo further examination.

Federal investigators released new information earlier Thursday gleaned from a data recorder and video from a forward-facing camera in the front of the train.

The National Transportation Safety Board says the train sped up and was going twice the 10 mph speed limit just before it crashed on Sept. 29.

The NTSB says the train was traveling at 8 mph and sped up for about 30 seconds before hitting 21 mph.

A final report on what caused the crash could take a year or longer to complete.