Stocks are poised for a record-setting day after a stunning Republican midterm election victory put the GOP in control of the Senate and increased its majority in the House.
A rally in equity index futures has the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 on track for new intraday records, while the Nasdaq Composite is shaping up for a new 14 ½-year high. Here are the numbers to watch: Dow Jones Industrial Average
- Last record close: 17390.52 on October 31
- Last intraday record: 17410.65 on November 3
- A new record close would be the 20th this year
- Last record close: 2018.05 on October 31
- Last intraday record: 2024.46 on November 3
- A new record close would be the 36th of 2014
- A move above Monday’s peak of 4654.19 would be the highest since March 30, 2000.
- The Nasdaq Comp. heads into today’s session just 8.4% away from a new record close.
- Last record close: 5048.62 on March 10, 2000
- Last intraday record: 5132.52 on March 10, 2000
The Dow Jones Transportation Average, buoyed by tumbling oil prices, ended at a record high yesterday, it’s second in a row and the 35th of 2014.