State gambling regulators say they see no wrongdoing by Wynn Resorts following last week's arrest of three owners of the land the company wants to develop into a casino.
The casino company "clearly" had no role in the wrongdoing, acting Massachusetts Gaming Commission Chairman James McHugh said Thursday following a briefing by the commission's investigative staff and state police.
Continue Reading Below
He noted that investigators have determined that the three accused men, Charles Lightbody, Anthony Gattineri and Dustin DeNunzio, will have no ongoing role in Wynn's $1.6 billion development.
The three men are accused of concealing from Wynn and state regulators the fact that Lightbody, a convicted felon, would profit from the sale of the Everett land, in violation of state regulations.
The three have pleaded not guilty to the state and federal criminal charges, including wire fraud.
Suffolk Downs, the Boston horse racing track where Mohegan Sun had hoped to develop a casino, has asked the commission to reconsider its decision to grant Wynn a casino license in light of the arrests. In a letter sent prior to Thursday's meeting, the track argued that there are "grave doubts" that Wynn can actually acquire the land within the commission's 60-day window, given the indictment.
Federal prosecutors say they will move to seize any profits the three men have made in the deal for the 30-acre property, site of a former chemical plant.
Wynn signed an option on the land in December 2012 and has been paying a company formed by the three men — FBT Everett Realty LLC — $100,000 a month for the right to purchase the property for $35 million.
Wynn did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.
McHugh said the commission is still reviewing Suffolk Downs' letter.
He said the commission will continue to monitor Wynn's casino planning. The company is expected to give its first status report to the commission in a few weeks.
"We'll have a better chance to see how that plays out then," McHugh said.