A Rhode Island jury has awarded $125,000 to a 19-year-old who sued her landlord for lead poisoning she says she suffered while living in a Pawtucket apartment when she was 2.
The Providence Journal (http://bit.ly/1glHLC3 ) reports that the verdict, which amounts to $350,000 with interest, went in favor of Traecina Claiborne.
Continue Reading Below
The law firm Motley Rice, which represented Claiborne, said in a statement that even though the lead exposure occurred 17 years ago, Claiborne still suffers from and will continue to suffer for the rest of her life from brain injuries and IQ loss.
The Superior Court trial ended last week.
The jury found that the landlord negligently concealed or failed to disclose the lead paint issues in the apartment and that the lead was responsible for Claiborne's health problems.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com