The pro-independence regional government in Catalonia says it still plans to hold a secession referendum Nov. 9 as it studies ways to convince Spain's Constitutional Court to lift a provisional suspension of the vote.
Spokeman Francesc Homs said Friday the regional government's task now is to study how to ensure the vote can be held. The court decided Monday to suspend preparations for the referendum while it considers Spanish government arguments that the vote is illegal.
Continue Reading Below
Homs spoke after his government met leaders of regional political parties that back the referendum.
Pro-independence sentiment has surged in Catalonia in recent years following Spain's refusal to give the region more powers.
The push is Europe's latest secession attempt following a Scottish independence poll last month that resulted in a No vote.