What to Do After a Disaster Hits Your Home, Mortgage

How to prepare financially for a natural disaster

Continue Reading Below

How to prepare financially for a natural disaster

'Retire Inspired' author Chris Hogan offers tips for preparing financially for natural disasters such as Harvey.

Hurricane Harvey has damaged or destroyed hundreds of thousands of homes and put countless families into a financial tailspin.

If you’re affected by a natural disaster, what does it mean for your mortgage? Here are frequently asked questions and answers.

Continue Reading Below

What should I do first?

Get in touch with the following entities:

  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency. You can register with FEMA online
  • Your homeowners insurance company, plus your flood or earthquake insurance company, if either applies to your situation.
  • Your mortgage servicer. That’s the company that you send your monthly payments to; it might not be your original mortgage lender.

I can’t pay my mortgage. What are my options?

If the disaster makes it impossible to make your monthly house payments, ask your servicer for mortgage forbearance. A forbearance “allows you to stop making your payments for an agreed-upon time,” says Lisa Tibbitts, director of public relations for Freddie Mac.

In a forbearance agreement, you might make partial payments or stop making payments for a specific time. Generally, a forbearance lasts up to six months and can be extended up to another six months. Interest still accrues during the time you aren’t making full monthly payments. But under a forbearance agreement, the lender won’t charge late fees or report you to credit bureaus.

The lender will want you to catch up on your missed payments after the forbearance period is over. That might involve paying extra every month for a few years, modifying the loan or reaching some other negotiated agreement.

To talk with a Department of Housing and Urban Development-approved housing counselor before agreeing to forbearance, call 1-800-569-4287.

<3>More from FOXBusiness.com...

    The $1.4 million mistake too many millennials are making

    Texas coast back to work, school as Harvey cleanup continues

    Harvey aid will pass House without attaching to debt ceiling: Rep. McCarthy

    Harvey recovery: Difficult situation as people struggle to find the money to rebuild, Allstate CEO says

    What aid is available?

    Direct federal aid consists mostly of loans from the Small Business Administration. As odd as that may seem, the SBA is in charge of delivering disaster-related loans to individuals and families.

    The SBA extends loans

    FEMA offers grants

    The Federal Housing Administration has a program that’s designed to help disaster survivors rebuild or buy replacement homes. Under the Section 203(h) program

    My house was destroyed. Should I keep paying the mortgage?

    You should do your best to maintain your credit score. That means paying the home loan — if you can afford it — until you have talked with the servicer and have reached a settlement with the insurance company.

    The way lenders look at it: You promised to repay your loan when you signed your mortgage documents at closing. “The borrower is liable for the loan debt, and making their payment is part of the borrower’s contractual obligation,” Alicia Jones, Fannie Mae spokeswoman, said in an email.

    Note: If you apply for a loan from the SBA, it runs a credit check before inspecting your property. That’s one reason to preserve your credit score by paying your bills on time as best you can.

    What happens if I stop mortgage payments without telling my servicer?

    If you stop making payments without permission from your mortgage servicer, you could be charged late fees and your credit score could fall.

    Homeowners “should call their lender,” says Brian Sullivan, supervisory public affairs specialist for HUD. “Don’t stop answering the phone. Don’t stop opening your mail.”

    Talk with your mortgage servicer before you miss a payment. The servicer might offer forbearance.

    What if I can’t contact my mortgage servicer?

    Whether your loan is guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, insured by the FHA or guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the servicer is expected to reach out to you.

    In response to Hurricane Harvey, Freddie Mac is allowing servicers to “verbally grant” 90-day forbearances, and Fannie Mae is letting servicers grant 90-day forbearances “even if they cannot contact the impacted homeowner immediately.”

    Even so, you should call the servicer or answer the mortgage company’s calls.

    What happens if I’m in foreclosure?

    Mortgage servicers receive foreclosure guidance from federal agencies, and the recommendations vary depending on the disaster.

    Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the VA and the FHA have suspended foreclosures for 90 days in the Hurricane Harvey disaster area.

    The house I was buying was destroyed or damaged. What happens now?

    If a disaster happens between appraisal and closing, “the lender is expected to take prudent and reasonable actions to determine whether the condition of the property may have materially changed since the effective date of the appraisal report,” according to Fannie Mae’s guide to lenders.

    If the damage is relatively minor and covered by insurance, the mortgage can be closed. But if the damage is uninsured, or if it’s major, then the house must be repaired before the mortgage can go through.

    More from NerdWallet