How to Know if You are Owed an Inheritance

By Dr. Don Taylor, Ph.D., CFA, CFP, CASLLifestyle and

Dear Dr. Don, 

Continue Reading Below

My question is about how to find out whether my father has left any assets to me if he has died, as I fear.

He and I are estranged. I have not heard from him in years. His last known address is Port Arthur, Texas. I live in New York. I have tried to find him on family search sites.

I am not sure if this is just a way for sites to get money from me. Isn't there an official way for me to find out whether he is deceased? I do not have his Social Security number, which might hamper a search. One big question involves whether I am entitled to assets he left behind?

Please help if you can.

More On This...

Thank you, 

-Zoe Zeal

Dear Zoe, 

Genealogy sites search obituaries, the Social Security Death Master File and other sources for a record of a person's death. You can also purchase access to the Social Security Death Index through the National Technical Information Service. I didn't perform an exhaustive search, but a website called will allow you to search the Social Security Death Master file for free. Some genealogy sites offer short-term free trials that you can cancel before being charged a fee.

If his date of death is established, you can request a verification of death from the Texas Office of Vital Statistics, assuming that he died in Texas. A verification letter isn't a legal substitute for a death certificate. In Texas, for example, you need to have a substantial and valid reason to request an official death certificate. That could include being a beneficiary on a life insurance policy.

Your father's estate would be distributed by a will, if he had one. If he died intestate, without a will, his estate would be distributed under his state's laws. While it is possible that you have a claim on the estate, it is also possible that you were written out of the will.

You could also look at the public records available in the county seat to search for your father's records, including those of the Probate Court. It would help you to see if his estate went through probate.

Ultimately, you need to ask whether this legwork is worth the effort. Only you can decide.

Get more news, money-saving tips and expert advice by signing up for a free Bankrate newsletter.

Ask the adviser

To ask a question of Dr. Don, go to the "Ask the Experts" page and select one of these topics: "Financing a home," "Saving and Investing" or "Money." Read more Dr. Don columns for additional personal finance advice.

Bankrate's content, including the guidance of its advice-and-expert columns and this website, is intended only to assist you with financial decisions. The content is broad in scope and does not consider your personal financial situation. Bankrate recommends that you seek the advice of advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy. Please remember that your use of this website is governed by Bankrate's Terms of Use.

Copyright 2013, Bankrate Inc.