ENI Upgrades Hydrocarbon Estimates at Mexico's Area 1

By Nathan AllenFeaturesDow Jones Newswires

Italy's ENI SpA (ENI.MI) has upgraded its hydrocarbons-in-place estimate for the Area 1 offshore exploration block in Mexico's Campeche Bay following a successful drilling campaign, the company said Tuesday.

The company said it now believes Area 1--which comprises the Amoca and Mizton fields--holds about 2 billion barrels of oil equivalent compared with an earlier estimate of 1.4 billion barrels. Oil accounts for about 90% of Area 1's hydrocarbons, with gas making up the remaining 10%, ENI said.

Continue Reading Below

ENI said it would shortly submit its development plan for the area to Mexico's national hydrocarbon authority, the CNH.

The company plans to give a final investment decision once it receives regulatory approval, and expects to start production in the first half of 2019, it said.

Write to Nathan Allen at nathan.allen@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

December 12, 2017 07:40 ET (12:40 GMT)