As Americans celebrate Independence Day, we are thankful for our freedom and grateful to all of those who help to defend it. While we will express our gratitude in many important ways, some may also wish to use a credit card from an institution that is supporting our troops in some way.
Continue Reading Below
Before you apply for any credit card, it’s a good idea to know your credit score so you can target your search to cards that you’re more likely to be approved for. If you have a particular card in mind but your credit score doesn’t fall within the issuer’s guidelines, you may want to take time to build your credit and apply for the card once your score does fall within the required range. You can get your credit scores for free many ways, including through Credit.com, where you get two free scores updated every month.
With the Fourth of July in mind, here are six credit cards that you might consider help you to express your patriotism.
1. PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express Card PenFed stands for the Pentagon Federal Credit Union, an organization that was founded to provide financial services to members of the military, defense organizations, and their families. Today, anyone can join based on their membership in a qualifying organization, including a military support charity such as Voices For America’s Troops. Its Premium Travel Rewards American Express card offers 5x points on airfare purchases, and 1x on all others. In addition, new cardholders receive 20,000 bonus points after spending $2,500 within three months of account opening. There is no annual fee for this card, and no foreign transaction fees.
2. USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World MasterCard This is another organization that exists for the benefit of members of the U.S. military and their families. In addition, they’ve partnered with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Hero’s program which seeks to increase employment among veterans and military spouses. It’s Preferred Cash Rewards World MasterCard offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases, with no limits. In addition, there is no annual fee for this card and no penalty interest rate. This card is intended for people with a good credit score. Here’s an expert guide to what you can expect from credit cards for consumers with good credit.
3. Capital One Quicksilver Rewards Capital One is also a partner of the Hiring Our Hero’s program, and has a commitment to hiring veterans and helping them transition to success in a civilian career. Its Quicksilver Rewards card offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
4. Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Visa Signature Card Both Citi and Hilton are also part of the Hiring Our Hero’s program, and Citi was also listed as one of the 10 best employers for veterans by Military Times. The Hilton HHonors Reserve card offers new applicants two free weekend nights after making $2,500 in purchases within the first four months of account opening. You can earn 10x points at Hilton properties, 5x for spending on airfare and car rentals and 3x on other purchases. Additionally, all cardmembers receive Gold elite status, which offers late check-outs, room upgrades and free breakfast. There is a $95 annual fee for this card and no foreign transaction fees.
5. First Command Platinum Visa Card First Command Bank was founded in the 1950s to serve the financial planning needs of American military families, and it also participates in the Hiring Our Heros program. It’s Platinum Visa Card has a standard interest rate of just 8.25%, one of the lowest rates offered. It also has no annual fee, no over-limit fee, or balance transfer fee. Other benefits include travel and emergency assistance, emergency cash disbursement and card replacement, and its ScoreCard rewards program.
6. U.S. Pride BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Card This card has an eagle on it and its appearance is designed for customers to show their pride in the United States. It also offers 3% cash back on gas and 2% cash back on groceries, on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter. Also, 1% cash back is earned on all other purchases. New cardholders also receive $100 cash back after spending $500 within 90 days of account opening. There is no annual fee for this card.
At publishing time, the USAA Preferred Cash Rewards World MasterCard, the Capital One Quicksilver Rewards Card and the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for this card. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.