Continue Reading Below
Image source: Sally Beauty.
Shares ofSally Beauty Holdings(NYSE: SBH) were selling off Tuesday after the beauty-supply retailer posted a disappointing fourth-quarter earnings report. As of 10:47 a.m. EST, the stock was down 16.9%.
Sally Beauty said revenue increased 1.3% to $976.4 million, short of estimates at $991 million. Same-store sales were up a modest 1.2%, which also missed the Wall Street consensus at 2.3%.
Continue Reading Below
Bottom-line performance was better as adjusted earnings per share improved from $0.38 to $0.41, matching estimates.
CEO Chris Brickman said results were solid for the year, and "we are excited about our sales driving initiatives in both businesses," citing in-store investments and a focus on customer conversion and engagement.
Separately, the company named Donald Grimes as its new COO and CFO. Grimes had previously served in the same capacity at Neiman Marcus.
Looking ahead to 2017, the company's guidance was solid as it's targeting same-store sales of about 3% and new store openings of 2%-3%, totaling revenue growth of 5%-6%. Analysts, by comparison, are expecting 3.6% revenue growth.
Further down the income statement, management said that operating income would grow in the mid-single digits as it expects a gross margin expansion of 30 to 40 basis points to counteract higher SG&A expenses. That compares to analyst expectations of 8% growth in earnings per share.
Considering the solid expectations for the coming year, Tuesday's sell-off could present a buying opportunity.
Forget the 2016 Election: 10 stocks we like better than Sally Beauty Holdings
Donald Trump was just elected president, and volatility is up. But here's why you should ignore the election:
Investing geniuses Tom and David Gardner have spent a long time beating the market no matter who's in the White House. In fact, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now... and Sally Beauty Holdings wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
Click here to learn about these picks!
*Stock Advisor returns as of November 7, 2016
Jeremy Bowman has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.