Power plans says it will cut off utility service to former Revel casino on Thursday

Energy Associated Press

The power plant that is the sole source of utility service to Atlantic City's former Revel casino says it will cut it off on Thursday.

Continue Reading Below

The Press of Atlantic City reported Wednesday night that ACR Energy Partners said it would notify lawyers for new Revel owner Glenn Straub Wednesday night that the cutoff would become effective at noon Thursday.

Straub's lawyer, Stuart Moskovitz, said Wednesday night he had not heard anything from the power plant on Wednesday.

The power plant, built exclusively for the $2.4 billion casino, had been a major impediment to selling the casino. It demanded assurances its bills would be paid, and had threatened to cut off service to the building several months ago, but was temporarily barred from doing so by a bankruptcy court judge.

Straub has refused to take over Revel's contract with ACR, and has said he may use portable generators in a pinch. The glass-enclosed building could be overrun with mold if utility service is ended for any length of time, and there is concern pipes could burst without heat to the building.

He finalized his $82 million purchase on Tuesday.

Continue Reading Below

Straub has floated the idea of bypassing the power plant by connecting Revel to the utility gird through the former Showboat casino next door to it, which he bought last Friday.

___

Wayne Parry can be reached at http://twitter.com/WayneParryAC