Pop music stars nearly monopolized the top retweets of 2010, with Justin Bieber the most popular topic and comedian/TV host Stephen Colbert authoring the most forwarded message of the year.
Continue Reading Below
In a list released Wednesday, singer Rihanna's praise for the 16-year-old Bieber's "sexy" abs, rapper Kanye West's three-word apology to country star Taylor Swift and rapper Lil Wayne's declaration of freedom after his November release from prison were among the top 10.
A retweet occurs when a Twitter user passes on a message -- known as a 'tweet' -- to other users on the microblogging website where 25 billion tweets were sent in 2010.
Twitter users whose posts also made the list were: Canadian recording artist Drizzy Drake, a satirical account representing Usama bin Laden's terrorist organization, and writer Justin Halpern, whose blog on his father's musings was turned into a sitcom on CBS, "Sh*t My Dad Says."
Top 10 Twitter Retweets of 2010:
1. Stephen Colbert: "In honor of oil-soaked birds, 'tweets' are now 'gurgles.'"
2. Drizzy Drake: "We always ignore the ones who adore us, and adore the ones who ignore us."
3. Lil Wayne: "Aaaaaaahhhhhhmmmmm baaaaakkkkkkkkkk!"
4. Justin Bieber: "Te quiero mucho mi amor."
5. al Qaeda: "Just noticed Twitter keeps prompting me to "Add a location to your tweets". Not falling for that one."
6. Joe Jonas: "I cry because I love Justin Bieber!!!"
7. Lady Gaga: "I'm beautiful in my way, 'cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track, baby. I was Born This Way."
8. Kanye West: "I'm sorry Taylor."
9. Rihanna: "Justin Bieber just flashed me his abs in the middle of a restaurant! Wow! He actually had a lil 6 pack! Sexy, lol!"
10. Justin Halpern: "Don't focus on the one guy who hates you. You don't go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog sh*t."
Read more: http://yearinreview.twitter.com/retweets/