Published June 10, 2014
It’s that time of year when the kids are out of school, and many are looking for summer jobs. We are seeing more available positions this year versus last year -- in fact my first company saw a 15% jump in hiring for 2014.
Remember, I’m here to help you and here are some great opportunities that also seem pretty fun.
AMERICAN CAMP ASSOCIATION – An association for camp owners, camp professionals and others interested in summer camps and similar camp programs.
- Currently has 866 open job positions for the summer
- Top Jobs: Counselors, Specialized Program Staff (lifeguards, ropes course staff, sports specialists, arts & crafts, horseback riding staff etc.), Camp Directors, Food Service, Health, Business Office Staff.
- There are about 12K camps in the U.S. – ACA member camps employ over 300,000 staff of the 1.2—1.5 million camp staff every year.
- According to research, the ‘supportive relationships’ campers develop with camp counselors & staff are one of the most powerful parts of the summer camp experience for kids.
- Find more information at www.acacamps.org/jobs
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK – The largest franchised moving company both in the United States and internationally.
- Hiring approx. 1,500–2,000 this summer.
- Top Jobs: Movers, Drivers, Franchise Owners (not a summer job), Management positions.
- Most Drivers don’t need special driver’s license (non-CDL) with a clean driving record.
- Movers/Drivers make $10-$15/hr plus bonus’ and tips.
- Their busiest season is during the summer which makes it great for students. Has very flexible schedules.
- Countless franchisees started as a summer mover or driver and now own their very own.
- Find more information at careers.twomenandatruck.com and twomenandatruckfranchising.com
FIREHOUSE SUBS – Fast-casual chain and the only restaurant concept using a steaming method to create hot subs.
- Currently has more than 1,200 job openings and plans to hire approximately 800 people this summer.
- Top Jobs: Crew Members, General Managers, Shift Leaders, Franchisees (not a summer job).
- Biggest needs are in the Northeast (ME, MA, NH, Philly, NY, NJ), WA, OR, CA.
- Rated the No. 1 Fast-Food Sandwich by ZAGAT.
- 95% of restaurant employees earn more than the minimum wage. The restaurant industry has added more than 1.1million jobs since the end of the recession!
- Founded in 1994 by former firefighting brothers. Restaurants display local memorabilia and images donated by area fire department.
- Find more information at www.firehousesubs.com
SKY ZONE INDOOR TRAMPOLINE PARK – Creator of the world’s first all-trampoline, walled playing court.
- Each park usually increases their staff by about 15% , which means approximately an additional 730 summer positions.
- Top Jobs: Court Monitors, Cashiers, Event Hosts and Event Assistants.
- For court monitors-hourly rate goes up to $10.25 an hour approximately. GM salary range-$47k- $52k Ops manager range- $32k- $35k.
- Was named by Forbes as a “Most Promising Companies”.
- Find more information at www.skyzone.com and contact local park directly for open positions.
TOWN SPORTS INTERNATIONAL – Operator of fitness centers in the East U.S. Brands include NY, Boston, Philadelphia & Washington Sports Clubs.
- Will hire as many as 50 Managers, +30 summer camp counselors/lifeguards, and over 150 personal trainers.
- TSI will provide training to be a trainer so no experience is necessary.
- Most summer positions are paid hourly but have access to the clubs, classes and training.
- Hiring in Metro NY City, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Westchester.
- Find more information at www.mysportsclubs.com/careers.