It’s that time of year when the kids are out of school, and many are looking for summer jobs. We are seeing more available positions this year versus last year -- in fact my first company saw a 15% jump in hiring for 2014.
Remember, I’m here to help you and here are some great opportunities that also seem pretty fun.
AMERICAN CAMP ASSOCIATION – An association for camp owners, camp professionals and others interested in summer camps and similar camp programs.
- Currently has 866 open job positions for the summer
- Top Jobs: Counselors, Specialized Program Staff (lifeguards, ropes course staff, sports specialists, arts & crafts, horseback riding staff etc.), Camp Directors, Food Service, Health, Business Office Staff.
- There are about 12K camps in the U.S. – ACA member camps employ over 300,000 staff of the 1.2—1.5 million camp staff every year.
- According to research, the ‘supportive relationships’ campers develop with camp counselors & staff are one of the most powerful parts of the summer camp experience for kids.
- Find more information at www.acacamps.org/jobs
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK – The largest franchised moving company both in the United States and internationally.
- Hiring approx. 1,500–2,000 this summer.
- Top Jobs: Movers, Drivers, Franchise Owners (not a summer job), Management positions.
- Most Drivers don’t need special driver’s license (non-CDL) with a clean driving record.
- Movers/Drivers make $10-$15/hr plus bonus’ and tips.
- Their busiest season is during the summer which makes it great for students. Has very flexible schedules.
- Countless franchisees started as a summer mover or driver and now own their very own.
- Find more information at careers.twomenandatruck.com and twomenandatruckfranchising.com
FIREHOUSE SUBS – Fast-casual chain and the only restaurant concept using a steaming method to create hot subs.
- Currently has more than 1,200 job openings and plans to hire approximately 800 people this summer.
- Top Jobs: Crew Members, General Managers, Shift Leaders, Franchisees (not a summer job).
- Biggest needs are in the Northeast (ME, MA, NH, Philly, NY, NJ), WA, OR, CA.
- Rated the No. 1 Fast-Food Sandwich by ZAGAT.
- 95% of restaurant employees earn more than the minimum wage. The restaurant industry has added more than 1.1million jobs since the end of the recession!
- Founded in 1994 by former firefighting brothers. Restaurants display local memorabilia and images donated by area fire department.
- Find more information at www.firehousesubs.com
SKY ZONE INDOOR TRAMPOLINE PARK – Creator of the world’s first all-trampoline, walled playing court.
- Each park usually increases their staff by about 15% , which means approximately an additional 730 summer positions.
- Top Jobs: Court Monitors, Cashiers, Event Hosts and Event Assistants.
- For court monitors-hourly rate goes up to $10.25 an hour approximately. GM salary range-$47k- $52k Ops manager range- $32k- $35k.
- Was named by Forbes as a “Most Promising Companies”.
- Find more information at www.skyzone.com and contact local park directly for open positions.
TOWN SPORTS INTERNATIONAL – Operator of fitness centers in the East U.S. Brands include NY, Boston, Philadelphia & Washington Sports Clubs.
- Will hire as many as 50 Managers, +30 summer camp counselors/lifeguards, and over 150 personal trainers.
- TSI will provide training to be a trainer so no experience is necessary.
- Most summer positions are paid hourly but have access to the clubs, classes and training.
- Hiring in Metro NY City, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Westchester.
- Find more information at www.mysportsclubs.com/careers.
Cheryl Casone joined FOX Business Network (FBN) in September 2007 as an anchor. She also serves as a financial contributor on FOX News Channel (FNC), and provides weekly job reports. Click here for more information on Cheryl Casone.