I am always looking for jobs that our nation’s heroes can apply for. What I like about Union Pacific, the first company on this week’s list, is that 1 in 5 employees is a veteran, and the company hired 900 last year. Also, the company was founded by none other than Abraham Lincoln back in 1862.
How American is that?
Finally, they have a solid management training program, which I am recommending for recent college grads.
UNION PACIFIC - Operates North America's premier railroad franchise, covering 23 states in the western two-thirds of the United States.
- Plans to hire close to 4,000 people in 2013.
- Top Jobs: Operations Managers, Diesel Electrician, and Locomotive Engine Electrician
- Operating Managers can work in engineering, mechanical, electrical and transportation. Engineering degree is preferred but not always necessary. Starting salary is $57K a year
- Diesel Electricians and Locomotive Engine Electricians have openings in CA, AR, and TX and can make between $26-$29/hour
- Company is very military friendly – hired more than 900 military veterans in 2012 and more than 20% of workforce are veterans.
- Find more information at www.unionpacific.jobs
AMAZON.COM – Multinational electronic commerce company, it is the world's largest online retailer
- Says it is adding 7,000 jobs in 13 states
- Top Jobs: Warehouse Positions, Distribution, Shipping, Customer Service
- Will add 5,000 full-time jobs at 17 U.S. distribution centers in AZ, DE, CA, IN, KY, PA, SC, TN, TX & VA
- Adding 2,000 jobs in customer service in KY, ND, WA, WV (these are a mix of full time, part time and seasonal positions)
- Also has work from home positions available in Oregon, Washington and Arizona.
- Jobs pay 30% higher than retail jobs and benefits start on day 1
- Find more information at www.amazon.com/csjobs and www.workatamazonfulfillment.com
TRW AUTOMOTIVE - Provides active and passive safety products and services to the automotive industry.
- Has 109 positions open
- Top Jobs: Engineering, IT
- All jobs are located in South Michigan
- Encourages relocation (MI’s cost of living is lower than any other state or metropolitan area in the Midwest)
- Find more information at www.trw.com
Contacted us through FFJobHunt:
IBEMC - A management consulting, profit engineering, and advisory company that shows clients how to increase net profits and improve their quality of life.
- Looking to hire up to 300 people by year end
- Top Jobs: Customer Service, Telemarketing, Financial Analysts, Management Consultant
- Customer Service and Sales people are paid on commission base and expenses. Analysts earn $27 p/hr Consultants earn $35 p/hr.
- Has been recognized for hiring seniors in the customer service department
- Find more information at www.ibemc.com
GREAT CLIPS – Hair-salon franchise
- Is hiring “thousands” (website has more than 6,500 openings listed)
- Top Jobs: Stylists, Managers, Franchise Owner
- Stylists salaries range from $27-$50K ($13-$24 an hour); Managers $30-$60K ($15-$29 an hour)
- Franchises cost anywhere from $100-$200K and you don’t need haircutting skills to own one (just good sales and management skills)
- Great Clips credits its check in app for part of the success of its growth. Has more than 10,000 customers checking in on their phone to decrease wait time for appointments
- Find more information at www.salonjobs.greatclips.com
Cheryl Casone joined FOX Business Network (FBN) in September 2007 as an anchor. She also serves as a financial contributor on FOX News Channel (FNC), and provides weekly job reports.