Where the Jobs Are This Week
Published March 19, 2013
Wednesday, March 20th, is National Hire a Veteran Day and a virtual career fair is being held between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. ET.
If you can’t participate or you read this post after the fair is over, below I’ve listed the websites where you can still apply. Remember, take the skills you learned from the battlefield, and translate them to the battleground of Corporate America -- it’s just how you phrase and categorize your experience.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and keep me posted on your progress.
ABOUT THE CAREER FAIR:
- The 5 employers below and more than 50 others will participate in the National Hire a Veteran and Military Spouse Day on March 20th.
- The virtual career fair will take place on Wednesday from 1-4 p.m. EST at www.vetcareerfair.com
- The event is open to all active duty, guard/reservists, veterans, and military spouses
- It’s being hosted by Veteran Recruiting Services in support of the First Lady and Dr. Biden’s Joining Forces Initiative
LOWE'S - U.S.-based chain of retail home improvement and appliance stores & the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world.
- Currently has 6,000 jobs available (plus recently announced hiring 45,000 seasonal positions for Spring)
- Top Jobs: Retail Store Position, Corporate Positions, Distribution Operations
- In the top 50 Military Friendly employers on list by G.I. Jobs & was founded by veteran Carl Buchan
- Find more information at www.lowes.com/careers
UNITED RENTALS - largest rental-equipment company in the world.
- Has more than 500 openings
- Top Jobs: Sales, Drivers, Service Techs, Management
- Has been named a GI Jobs Top 100 Military Friendly Employer for the past 4 years
- Company site features a Military Skills Translator which assists veterans in choosing a position at United Rentals that might be a good fit
- Located in 48 states
- Find more information at www.unitedrentals.com/careers
USAA - provides insurance, banking, investment and retirement products and services to 9.4 million members of the U.S. military and their families.
- Will add 3,500 jobs over the next 3 years and 1 in 4 will be from the military community
- Top Jobs: Underwriters, member contact representatives in claims, investments and banking, statistical and financial analysts
- First company to earn the No. 1 spot for military and spouses in G.I Jobs and Military Spouse Magazine, and it is currently ranked No. 1
- Find more information at www.usaa.apply2jobs.com
DIRECTV - leading provider of digital television entertainment services.
- Has more than 400 job openings
- Top Jobs: Satellite Installation Technicians, Field Supervisors, Logistics, Project Management, Analysts
- Is a 100,000 Jobs Mission member and a White House Joining Forces supporter
- Find out more information at www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/careers
INTERCONTINENTAL HOTELS GROUP - global hotels company, owns nine brands including Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, InterContinental & Staybridge Suites
- Has more than 1,300 jobs worldwide
- Top Jobs: Hotel Management & Operations, Food & Beverage, Sales, IT, and many others
- Recently signed a Statement of Support with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- This year the first of their new fitness & wellness hotel brand in the U.S. called EVEN Hotels will open
- Find out more information at www.ihgplc.com