I got another chain email recently, this one highlighting the wordiness of today's bureaucracy:
• The Lord's Prayer: 70 words.
• 10 Commandments: 331 words.
• Declaration of Independence: 1,322 words.
• U.S. Constitution: 7,794 words.
• Government Regulations on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words.
Ha ha! Good point! Except the last example isn't true, as Snopes revealed.
But it would be true had the email just substituted cheese for cabbage. The FDA devotes 34,823 words to the regulation of cheese.
Yet they keep adding more words.