Featuring @BrianOverby and @MNKahnAnalysis of S&P 500 fromMichael Kahn with QuickTakesPro:S&P 500 (SPX) – At the timeof this broadcast, SPX was at 2097.68, down 2.72 today. After the “Fridayfreak-out,” Michael mentions that the index remains in the range over the lasttwo months. The resistance from last week was followed by a big Fridaysell-off, but the pattern remains bullish with a strong support and earlyrecovery on Monday.SPX continues to sit just aboveits 50 day moving average of 2086.57 and above the 200 day moving average of 2021.15.The Chart of the Day is GileadSciences (GILD):
Gilead was around 104.78, up 4.12at the time of broadcast. Michael states that this biotech stock was “killingthe S&P 500” in 2013 and 2014. However, it has had a pullback over the last6-8 months. On-balance volume may be a “slight warning” for the stock, butMichael believes the stock’s price stability may confirm a new breakout.GILD’s 50 day moving average is101.37 and the 200 day moving average is 101.33.
Continue Reading Below
Analysis of GILD Volatility Chartand Dividends from TradeKing’s BrianOverby:GILD’s 30-day Implied Volatility(IV) is at 30.48% and the 30-day Historical is sitting at 19.22%. Inanticipation of an expected after-close earnings announcement on April 30th, HVhas dropped while IV has risen.Gilead doesnot currently pay a dividend. It’s worth noting the company plans to start paying an annual dividend of $1.72 per share ($0.43 on a quarterly basis) starting inthe second quarter of 2015.
Brian Overby’s paper tradestrategies based on Michael’s analysis:Michael’s outlook is bullish.Earnings is expected within 10 days, Brian discusses a DiagonalCall Spread as his first strategy. We’re expecting earnings soon, dealingwith potential implied volatility swings. His goal is to hedge our long optionby selling an option that expires before earnings. His second strategy is a LongCall Spread, also known as a Bull Call Spread. This strategy uses longer termoptions with the intention to buy an in-the-money option that has about as muchtime premium as the out-of-the-moneyoption that is being sold to limit exposure to wild implied volatilitymovements.Brian’s Paper Trade - DiagonalCall Spread- Sell 1 April 24th 2015 GILD 106Call
- Buy 1 May 1st 2015 GILD 105Call- 3 days to the April 24thexpiration
- 10 days to the May 1stexpiration- Net Bid 2.04, Mid 2.13, Ask2.21 for the strategy- Net debit is 2.13 if we get itat the Mid, may not be possible- Maximum potential loss: $2.13
- Maximum potential gain islimited to the premium received for the sale of the later expiration (May 1st)call when that position is later closed, minus the cost to buy back the earlierexpiration (April 24th) call also at that time, minus the 2.13 net debit paidto establish the position.*NOTE: You can’t preciselycalculate potential profit at initiation of this strategy, because the max gainis limited by what the market prices of the options will be at the time theposition would be closed-- selling to close the long (May 1st) leg, and buyingto close the short (April 24th).Total commission to enter thistrade is $6.25Brian’s Paper Trade - LongCall Spread- Sell 1 May 15th 2015 GILD 107Call
- Buy 1 May 15th 2015 GILD 102Call- 24 days to expiration- Net Bid 2.49, Mid 2.63, Ask2.78 for the strategy- Net Debit is 2.63 if we get itat the Mid, may not be possible- Maximum potential loss: $2.63
- Maximum potential gain: $2.37- Total commission to enter thistrade is $6.25**NOTE: option prices are given as a per contract amount. Multiply loss andgain figures by 100 shares and by the number of contracts traded to determinethe amount of the full potential loss or full potential gain. No additionalcalculations are needed to determine commission costs.TradeKing Options Tools used:- DetailedGILD Quote
- TradeKing P&L CalculatorGet solid market analysis andpotential trading ideas. Take 15 minutes of your lunch with our team, as theyanalyze the market during this live online session. As an added bonus, a stockchart will be covered in detail each session accompanied by a potential optiontrade. This might be the most valuable thing you do all week! Every Tuesdaymidday from 12:00 - 12:15pm ET.Registerhere for next week’s Midday Market Call!Best,
TradeKing Group, Inc.
www.tradeking.comOptions involve risks and are notsuitable for all investors. Prior to buying or selling options, an investormust receive a copy of Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options, sentto you in previous communication. Additional copies may be obtained by callingTRADEKING at 877-495-KING or by visiting www.TradeKing.com/ODD.Multiple leg options strategiesinvolve additionalrisks, and may result in complex tax treatments. Please consult a taxadvisor.At the time of publication and inthe preceding month, TradeKing and/or Michael Kahn did not have ownershipgreater than 1% in any stocks mentioned; did not have any other actual,material conflict of interest known at the time of publication; have notreceived compensation from a public offering nor from investment bankingservices related to any companies mentioned within the past 12 months, norexpect to receive any in the next 3 months; nor engaged in market making in thesecurities mentioned.System response and access timesmay vary due to market conditions, system performance, and other factors.Any strategies discussed andexamples using actual securities and price data are strictly for illustrativeand educational purposes only and are not to be construed as an endorsement,recommendation, or solicitation to buy or sell securities. Past performance isnot a guarantee of future results. Consider the following when making aninvestment decision: your financial situation, your risk profile andtransaction costs.Market timing is a complexinvestment strategy which involves risk and may incur additional commissioncosts.While implied volatilityrepresents the consensus of the marketplace as to the future level of stockprice volatility, there is no guarantee that this forecast will be correct.TradeKing charges $4.95 foronline equity and option trades, add 65 cents per option contract. TradeKingcharges an additional $0.35 per contract on certain index products where theexchange charges fees. See our FAQ for details. TradeKing adds $0.01 per shareon the entire order for stocks priced less than $2.00. See our Commissions + Fees page forcommissions on broker-assisted trades, low-priced stocks, option spreads, andother securities.The projections or otherinformation generated by TradeKing's tools regarding the likelihood of variousinvestment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actualinvestment results and are not guarantees of future results. The calculationsdo not take into consideration all costs, such as commissions and margin interestwhich may impact the results shown. It is the user's sole responsibility toselect the criteria to enter in the TradeKing's tools, or to choose among thepredefined screens, and to evaluate the merits and risks associated with theuse of the tools before making any investment decisions. TradeKing is notresponsible for any losses that occur from such investment decisions.TradeKing Webinars and All-StarBlogs are provided for educational and informational purposes only. Allinvestments involve risk, losses may exceed the principal invested, and thepast performance of a security, industry, sector, market, or financial productdoes not guarantee future results or returns. TradeKing provides self-directedinvestors with discount brokerage services, and does not make recommendationsor offer investment, financial, legal or tax advice. You alone are responsiblefor evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of TradeKing'ssystems, services or products.TradeKing selects and defines asAll-Stars certain independent market commentators who are recognized industrypersonalities and experienced traders and who provide timely market commentaryvia the TradeKingAll-Star Blog and/or TradeKing Webinars. EachAll-Star commentator's bio, related qualifications and disclosure as to theirrelationship with TradeKing can be found on the All-StarRoster. The selection of All-Star commentators is solely based on thequality and style of the content provided. TradeKing does not measure, endorse,or monitor the performance or correctness of any statement or recommendationmade by independent All-Stars commentators. Supporting documentation for anyclaims made by TradeKing All-Stars will be supplied upon request by the authorof the post, who is solely responsible for the views expressed. ContactTradeKing All-Stars by sending an email message to TKallstars@tradeking.com.© 2015 TradeKing Group, Inc. Allrights reserved. Securities offered through TradeKing Securities, LLC, member FINRA and SIPC.
Continue Reading Below