Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Markets

Utah restaurant where woman drank chemical-filled tea had food labeling violation in January

  • ddfe5a5b340f7410VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____-Lye in Tea-1.jpg

    Dickey's Barbecue Pit is shown Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. The Utah police agency investigating how iced tea that a woman drank at a restaurant ended up laced with an industrial cleaning solution is forwarding its findings to prosecutors to determine if anybody should be charged. Authorities have said an employee at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner in a sugar bag, and a worker later mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (The Associated Press)

  • ddfe5a5b340f7410VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____-Lye in Tea-2.jpg

    A sign in the window of Dickey's Barbecue Pit is shown Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. The Utah police agency investigating how iced tea that a woman drank at a restaurant ended up laced with an industrial cleaning solution is forwarding its findings to prosecutors to determine if anybody should be charged. Authorities have said an employee at Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner in a sugar bag, and a worker later mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (The Associated Press)

  • ddfe5a5b340f7410VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____-Lye in Tea-3.jpg

    Attorney Paxton Guymon holds a photograph of Jim and Jan Harding during a news conference in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014. Jan Harding, 67, is in critical condition at a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life, Guymon said. She drank sweet tea containing a toxic cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat at a Utah restaurant after an employee mistook the substance for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser, Guymon said. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (The Associated Press)

  • ddfe5a5b340f7410VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____-Lye in Tea-4.jpg

    Dickey's Barbecue Pit is shown Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. Police say a woman was in extremely critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with an industrial cleaning chemical at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler says the 67-year-old woman was eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit on Sunday when she poured herself a glass of tea from the beverage bar. Winkler says the woman took a sip and her mouth started burning. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (The Associated Press)

  • ddfe5a5b340f7410VgnVCM100000d7c1a8c0____-Lye in Tea-5.jpg

    A sign is shown at Dickey's Barbecue Pit Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. Police say a woman was in extremely critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with an industrial cleaning chemical at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler says the 67-year-old woman was eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit on Sunday when she poured herself a glass of tea from the beverage bar. Winkler says the woman took a sip and her mouth started burning. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (The Associated Press)

A Utah restaurant where a woman unknowingly drank iced tea mixed with chemicals, and nearly died, was cited seven months earlier for improper food labeling.

Salt Lake County Health Department records show officials issued seven violations to Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan in January. The restaurant has had no violations for improper chemical labeling.

Health department spokesman Nicholas Rupp says mislabeling of food is a common violation. Rupp says the Dickey's has maintained a better-than-average health rating since opening in 2012.

Authorities say a chemical cleaning compound ended up in the tea after a worker unintentionally put it in a sugar bag last month. The substance was then mixed it into iced tea Aug. 10.

Prosecutors are reviewing a police investigation of the incident to determine if anyone should be charged.