SALT LAKE CITY – A Utah restaurant where a woman unknowingly drank iced tea mixed with chemicals, and nearly died, was cited seven months earlier for improper food labeling.
Continue Reading Below
Salt Lake County Health Department records show officials issued seven violations to Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan in January. The restaurant has had no violations for improper chemical labeling.
Health department spokesman Nicholas Rupp says mislabeling of food is a common violation. Rupp says the Dickey's has maintained a better-than-average health rating since opening in 2012.
Authorities say a chemical cleaning compound ended up in the tea after a worker unintentionally put it in a sugar bag last month. The substance was then mixed it into iced tea Aug. 10.
Prosecutors are reviewing a police investigation of the incident to determine if anyone should be charged.