Sept 15 (Reuters) - Bermuda has become a global reinsurancehub, with firms moving there to benefit from a lower regulatoryburden, attractive tax environment and good infrastructure.
Those operating in Bermuda -- a British overseas territoryoff the U.S. east coast -- include XL Group, ACE Ltd, Allianz,Everest Re, Partner Re, Swiss Re and RenaissanceRe Holdings.
Following are some facts on Bermuda's reinsuranceoperations:
* Bermuda's reinsurers paid nearly 30 percent of theinsured losses from 2005 Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma
* Bermuda's reinsurers paid $22 billion to rebuild the U.S.Gulf and Florida coasts from the damaging 2004 and 2005hurricane seasons
* Bermuda's reinsurers provide an estimated 40 percent ofthe U.S. property catastrophe reinsurance capacity, and writean estimated 40 percent of Europe's property catastrophereinsurance market
* They write 16 percent of aggregate global reinsurancepremiums
* Bermuda has 16 of the world's top 35 reinsurers Source - Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers (Compiled by Supantha Mukherjee in Bangalore, Editing by IanGeoghegan)